Monday, July 27, 2009

Clinton says she has no interest in White House - Yahoo! News

Clinton says she has no interest in White House - Yahoo! News: "'Well, you know, I say no, never, you know, not at all. I don't know what, what else to say,' Clinton said on NBC's 'Meet the Press' after host David Gregory noted that she left some wiggle room in an interview last week in Thailand.

But then Gregory followed up by asking, 'Are you saying you wouldn't entertain another run?'

Clinton's response was less clear: 'I have absolutely no belief in my mind that that is going to happen, that I have any interest in it happening. You know, as I said, I, I am so focused on what I'm doing.'

In the interview on Thai television, Clinton said, 'I don't know, but I doubt very much that anything like that will ever be part of my life.'"

-----------
On the one hand, these questions are silly because they are just trying to get some sentence out of her that they can twist and make it look like she's planning to run against Obama. That seems to be possible in the sense that most anything is possible. On the other hand, obviously she would love to be President, and I suppose if Obama were to drop to Bush-level approval ratings, some scenario like Ted Kennedy challenging Jimmy Carter would go from barely possible to reality. But when I read these interchanges with Clinton, I wish they would deal with her as Secretary of State instead of grilling her in the hope of finding some "wiggle room" between her words.

1 comment:

Beth said...

As always, the press is way over-invested in "horse race" and under-invested in substance. I long for even a few months during which no one speculates on the upcoming presidential race.