Sunday, January 04, 2009


Clint Eastwood Is The Man - Figuratively And Literally - Screen Rant: "“My father had a couple of kids at the beginning of the Depression. There was not much employment. Not much welfare. People barely got by. People were tougher then.”

“We live in more of a pussy generation now, where everybody’s become used to saying, “Well, how do we handle it psychologically?” In those days, you just punched the bully back and duked it out. Even if the guy was older and could push you around, at least you were respected for fighting back, and you’d be left alone from then on.”

“I don’t know if I can tell you exactly when the pussy generation started. Maybe when people started asking about the meaning of life.”"

-------------
This is an interesting observation. Eastwood is right that, on the whole, Americans were psychologically tougher and more resilient in the past. I wouldn't go so far as to say we have become a nation of whiners, as Phil Gramm says, but we certainly obsess about our hurties a lot, where in the past people laughed at other people's weakness. I see Oprah Winfrey on the TVs in the gym (I try not to look) and I can hardly restrain myself from chucking a weight through the screen. What a hideous display of weakness and shameless dysfunction. However, while Eastwood is right true about the culture as a whole, the strange thing is that we have some extremely tough subcultures. Take a look at the UFC sometime. They make boxers look like ballet dancers. I trained in mixed martial arts for many years and I didn't see any shortage of tough people, including some women. There are other subcultures like that. Maybe we are turning into Eloi and Morlocks.

No comments: