Wednesday, September 17, 2008

City uses DNA to fight dog poop | Lifestyle | Reuters

City uses DNA to fight dog poop | Lifestyle | Reuters: "PETAH TIKVA, Israel (Reuters) - An Israeli city is using DNA analysis of dog droppings to reward and punish pet owners. Under a six-month trial programme launched this week, the city of Petah Tikva, a suburb of Tel Aviv, is asking dog owners to take their animal to a municipal veterinarian, who then swabs its mouth and collects DNA. The city will use the DNA database it is building to match faeces to a registered dog and identify its owner. Owners who scoop up their dogs' droppings and place them in specially marked bins on Petah Tikva's streets will be eligible for rewards of pet food coupons and dog toys."
------------------
I was under the impression that the nation of Israel had problems more pressing than unidentified dog poop, but apparently I was misinformed. I would think, though, that many an American gated community will adopt this policy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is one ridiculous hoa policy that I would support!

Force all dog owners to submit dna of their dogs and then fine them if the poop shows up on someone else's lawn. Make the fine high enough to pay for the poop analysis plus a little profit for the gross factor. I'll bet that after a few fines, people would actually start picking up after their pooches.

(Tho in my state fines are blessedly pointless because they cannot become a lien on property and I would not want to change that. Ah well, I'll appreciate Israel's genius from afar.)