Friday, April 18, 2008

My Way News - 5.4 earthquake rocks Illinois; felt 450 miles away: "WEST SALEM, Ill. (AP) - A 5.4 magnitude earthquake that appeared to rival the strongest recorded in the region rocked people up to 450 miles away early Friday, surprising residents unaccustomed to such a powerful Midwest temblor.

The quake just before 4:37 a.m. was centered six miles from West Salem, Ill., and 66 miles from Evansville, Ind. It was felt in such distant cities as Chicago, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, and Des Moines, Iowa, 450 miles northwest of the epicenter, but there were no early reports of injuries or significant damage."

-------------------
This woke me up. At first I thought wind was rocking the house, but then I realized it must be an earthquake. I've been through quite a number of these in California so I just went back to sleep. None of the kids even woke up. But for the Chicago area, this is quite an event.

No comments: