Friday, March 16, 2007

Top investor sees U.S. property crash: Reuters
I said long ago there was going to be a bubble-popping ceremony in the real estate market, and I said that a lot of people with bizarre high-risk mortgages were going to get hurt when it happened. But I think this fellow is carrying things a bit too far. It can't be that bad. At least, I don't think so. But then, I don't have enough money to afford a $15 million home, so who am I to talk?

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Commodities investment guru Jim Rogers stepped into the U.S. subprime fray on Wednesday, predicting a real estate crash that would trigger defaults and spread contagion to emerging markets. "You can't believe how bad it's going to get before it gets any better," the prominent U.S. fund manager told Reuters by telephone from New York. "It's going to be a disaster for many people who don't have a clue about what happens when a real estate bubble pops. "It is going to be a huge mess," said Rogers, who has put his $15 million belle epoque mansion on Manhattan's Upper West Side on the market and is planning to move to Asia.

No comments: