Sunday, April 10, 2005

Clayton Cramer's BLOG says...it's "Crack in the World"!!!
Below I linked to a story about some scientists who are drilling a hole through the mantle of the earth's core. I said these folks should check out science fiction because this has been tried (on screen) and it is a bad idea. At least, on film. Clayton Cramer went a step further and came up with the name of the movie (which I thought was quite good).

It Sounds Like The Start of a Bad 1960s Sci-Fi Movie

Crack in the World (1965), as I recall. It was truly awful, even by the standards of the time, so this news story caught my attention:
"Scientists said this week they had drilled into the lower section of Earth's crust for the first time and were poised to break through to the mantle in coming years. The Integrated Ocean Drilling Program (IODP) seeks the elusive "Moho," a boundary formally known as the Mohorovicic discontinuity. It marks the division between Earth's brittle outer crust and the hotter, softer mantle."

I do hope the environmentalists don't hear about this. Since most of them seem to have a Crack in the World level of science training, I expect them to get in a rather serious tizzy in no time at all.

No comments: