Monday, July 09, 2012

Scranton moves ahead with minimum wage pay for city workers despite injunction - News - The Times-Tribune

Scranton moves ahead with minimum wage pay for city workers despite injunction - News - The Times-Tribune

In defiance of an injunction issued in Lackawanna County Court, hundreds of city employees will open their checks today to find they were paid only minimum wage for their work.


Amid Scranton's ever-deepening financial crisis, Mayor Chris Doherty said his administration is going forward with a plan to unilaterally slash the pay of 398 workers to the federal minimum of $7.25 an hour with today's payroll, insisting it is all the city can afford.
---------------
And then they came for the municipal employees, and I said nothing...

2 comments:

HOA Buster said...

And next, they came for the HOAs and I cried, "hooray!"

Anonymous said...

> insisting it is all the city can afford.

I wonder if the "it is all I can afford" excuse will work when I have to pay my taxes, my HOA fees, and other bills...

Not that it isn't valid, but it seems the individual always gets the short end of the stick, and there's an obvious double-standard at work.