Sunday, December 12, 2010

Why I haven't been posting for the last few weeks

I am sicker than I have ever been in my life. I've been sick since about November 20. I have pertussis, better known as "whooping cough." And yes, I was vaccinated when I was a kid. But I have learned that these vaccinations wear off, so by the time you are in your teens you need a booster. My shot wore off long ago, I never had a booster, and I was hit so hard that I spent two days in the hospital. I am recovering now but recovery from pertussis takes some time.

If you haven't had a pertussis booster shot, my advice is: run, don't walk, to your local medical center and ask for one. This was once practically eradicated and now it's going around. There are outbreaks in Ohio, Illinois, Texas, and California, and perhaps elsewhere.

Believe me--you do not, repeat DO NOT, want to get pertussis. Just take my word for it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Mckenzie,
I am so sorry to hear you have been so ill. I am aware of how sick one can be with pertussis and for some reason the general public believes it doesn't exist in our society anymore. Glad you are better.
ps. Maybe it is like the DENIAL of HOA's/COA's CID's fraudulently fining, assessing, terrorizing and foreclosing, along with the Kangaroo Courts and municipalies where women are told they have "no right to live in (occupy)the HOA/COA property they own." Along with, "we have known there is no justice for women in ______ ______, since 1962,(County Commissioner) unless they (the woman) can pay for it. It would have been better if you had lied under oath." Two, of far too many separate incidents in one locale, all saying the same thing, I fear...

Anonymous said...

RE: What anonymous said:
"where women are told they have "no right to live in (occupy)the HOA/COA property they own." Along with, "we have known there is no justice for women in ______ ______, since 1962,(County Commissioner) unless they (the woman) can pay for it. It would have been better if you had lied under oath.""
I think I may know where this ordeal and mentality is from.
I may be wrong, but I think this, along with some other really horrible, illegal things were done to a homeowner in Monroe County, Pennsylvania.
Just an opinion. Check the records....

Beth said...

Gosh, that sounds awful. I hope the rest of your recovery is swift.