Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Joseph Brogan, 58, professor at La Salle with Tolkien touch | Philadelphia Inquirer | 10/09/2009


Joseph Brogan, 58, professor at La Salle with Tolkien touch | Philadelphia Inquirer | 10/09/2009: "Joseph V. Brogan, 58, of Havertown, a La Salle University political-science professor who taught an honors course on The Lord of the Rings, died of lung cancer Wednesday at his home.

Dr. Brogan taught at La Salle for more than 25 years. In addition to courses such as modern and classical political theory, constitutional law, and U.S. politics and federalism, he twice conducted the honors course on J.R.R. Tolkien's trilogy."

----------
I met Joe Brogan through his brother (and my friend and former colleague) Tom Brogan. Joe was just a wonderful person. He was a brilliant scholar and a fantastic teacher. I attended a panel that he chaired at the American Political Science Association on the politics of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It was one of the most fascinating theoretical conversations I have ever heard. Whether it was something that elevated, or just sitting and talking with him at a Phillies game, he was a great guy in every way. What a loss for LaSalle, his family, and everybody who knew him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sincerest sympathy to Mr Brogan's family and friends.

Beth said...

What a shame. You wrote a great tribute, Evan. My sympathy to all who knew him.

Anonymous said...

I just learned of his passing from a newsletter from La Salle's PolSci department. When I searched online for more information, I came across your blog. Dr. Brogan was one of the best professors that taught me at La Salle. He truly was a great man and will be missed. May he rest in peace.